Category: Frosting Recipes
This is a great chocolate buttercream frosting for people who love a rich and buttery frosting that is shortening free.
It’s soft, creamy and makes gentle peaks. This chocolate buttercream recipe spreads easily and has a warm chocolate glow.
Added bonus? It’s super easy to make!
- 14 oz (3.5 “sticks”) room temperature butter
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 – 1 cup cocoa powder
- 6 – 7 cups powdered sugar (approximately 1.5 pounds)
- 7 tbsp milk
- Thoroughly cream butter, vanilla, and one cup of powdered sugar.
- Add one cup of powdered sugar and one tablespoon of milk. Beat thoroughly at medium speed.
- Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder.
- Repeat step #2 until you have added all of the milk and powdered sugar, repeat step #3 to taste (up to 1 cup of cocoa).
- Beat for an additional 5-7 minutes at medium speed.
Yield: Approximately five cups of frosting.
Because this is a shortening-free frosting, it is softer than many people expect. For a stiffer frosting, try decreasing the milk or adding more powdered sugar (whichever suits your tastebuds better).
Oh, and be forewarned — cocoa powder puts up more dust than powdered sugar, so until it’s blended in, keep those mixers on low speed.
Tags: chocolate buttercream, frosting, icing, recipe, shortening free