Category: Frosting Recipes
A fresh batch of the Butteriest Buttercream Frosting.
This is the best buttercream frosting for people who love a rich and buttery tasting frosting (and for those who prefer a shortening-free frosting).
It’s a soft and creamy frosting that makes gentle peaks, spreads easily, and has a warm glow.
Added bonus? It’s super easy to make!
- 14 oz (3.5 “sticks”) room temperature butter
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 7 cups powdered sugar (approximately 2 pounds)*
- 6 tbsp milk
- Thoroughly cream butter, vanilla, and one cup of powdered sugar.
- Add one cup of powdered sugar and one tablespoon of milk. Beat thoroughly at medium speed.
- Repeat step #2 until you have added all of the milk and powdered sugar.
- Beat for an additional 5-7 minutes at medium speed.
Yield: Approximately five cups of frosting.
For flavor, this frosting recipe is my absolute favorite and always my first choice for dressing up a cake.
However, if your cake will be attending the company’s summer picnic and expected to stand up to a sunny day, you might prefer the Bright White Buttercream Frosting which substitutes shortening for part of the butter. The shortening makes for a stiffer and sturdier frosting, less prone to wilting in the summer heat.
*For a stiffer frosting add up to one and one-half cups additional powdered sugar (one half cup at a time) until you reach the desired consistency and flavor.
To make half a batch, follow the instructions above, but use the following list of ingredients
- 8 oz (2 “sticks”) room temperature butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar (approximately 1 pound)
- 3-4 tbsp milk
Yield: Approximately three cups of frosting.
Tags: buttercream, frosting, icing, recipe, shortening free