Category: Cake Recipes
Strawberry cake with white frosting.
With rustic good looks, the strawberry cake batter, a fresh strawberry layer, and creamy sweet icing this homespun sweetheart is a sure winner for cake fans and strawberry lovers.
Note: Because the frosting for this cake uses fresh whipped cream, the cake must be refrigerated.
Easy Strawberry Cake Ingredients
- 1 Betty Crocker White Cake Mix (SuperMoist)
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/4 cup milk
- 1 box White Chocolate Pudding Mix (1 oz size)
- 1/3 cup strawberry puree
- 1/3 cup oil
- Food coloring (optional)
Artificial color vs. natural strawberry coloring.
Before you start baking your cake, you have to decide if you want to add artificial coloring. As red as strawberries are, they will not turn your cake red (or even pink). The pictures above show one layer of strawberry cake with food coloring (Wilton’s Gel Coloring, Rose) and one without any added food coloring. There’s absolutely no difference in taste between the two layers, just appearance. Coloring may be added at any time while making the batter.
And no, I don’t usually bake the layers in two different colors… that was all for you.
Easy Strawberry Cake Recipe Instructions
- Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Mix on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Scrape sides and bottom of bowl to ensure all dry mix is incorporated.
- Mix at medium speed for an additional two minutes.
- Use baking time and temperature listed on box (varies dependent on size and type of pans you use)
While the cake is baking, prepare the strawberries for the middle layer.
Fresh Strawberry Layer Preparation
- 4 – 5 fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
Soak strawberries in sweetened water.
Slice strawberries as thinly as possible. The sliced strawberries are placed between the two layers of cake and the thinner the slices, the better the overall texture in each bite of cake.
In a medium bowl, combine sugar and water. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Place thinly sliced strawberries in the sweetened water. Cover and refrigerate until needed (or a minimum of 30 minutes).
Creamy Confectioner’s Frosting Ingredients
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 oz unsalted butter (2 “sticks”) at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
Creamy Confectioner’s Frosting Instructions
- In a large mixing bowl, combine whipping cream and granulated sugar.
- Using a wire whisk (either mixing by hand or with an electric mixer), whisk the cream and sugar until it forms thick soft peaks.
- Refrigerate whipped cream while you prepare the next portion of the frosting.
- In large mixing bowl, cream the butter with the vanilla (for electric mixers, use the paddle or “beater” attachment)
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar, cream thoroughly. Repeat until all of the powdered sugar has been added.
- Add the milk, beat at medium speed for 4 minutes.
- By hand (no electric mixing), gently fold the whipped cream into the powdered sugar mixture. Do not overmix — this is not a smooth textured frosting.
Add layer of sweetened strawberries to cake.
Once the cake has cooled and the frosting is ready, drain and discard the liquid from the thinly sliced strawberries. Use a paper towel to gently pat the strawberries dry.
Frost the bottom layer of the cake and place the sliced strawberries on top of the frosting. Place the second layer of cake and frost entire cake. Don’t bother with trying to smooth this frosting — just add some homey swirls and blips with the frosting knife.
Strawberry cake with white frosting.
Refrigerate for a minimum of one hour and serve. Keep leftovers (if there are any!) refrigerated.
Tags: easy strawberry cake, strawberries